- Kitchen Capers
- The Ultimate Homemade Burger: Introducing “The Max”
The Ultimate Homemade Burger: Introducing “The Max”
A burger phenomenon is sweeping our nation. Twitter and facebook is set abuzz whenever someone tweets about the latest burger bakar joint or post a burger photo on their wall. Now even independent burger stands are making their own patties.
Meet the King of Homemade Burgers - The Max !
We were fascinated and inspired by this massive burger awakening. So, we did some research and decided to make our own mega burger. Sesame speckled buns, patties and even a special sauce. Yup, we've made everything from scratch. The result? A double-patty burger so good it can give a certain famous clown's burgers a run for his money.
It takes longer than ordering one at a fast food joint but give this a go and you'll see what all the fuss is about. We proudly present to you the king of all homemade burgers, maximum on taste, flavour and look, introducing.....The Max!
Serving: 4 pax
Prep time: 2 ½ hours
Cooking: 30 min
Assemble time: 3 min
Lets start with the meat of the matter. The patties we made were fatter than the average patty, oozing with meaty juices in every bite. The onion powder is the one that transforms this into something pretty amazing.
Juicy meaty patties frying away
500 g Beef, minced
100 g Fat
1 Tbs Salt
1 Tbs Black Pepper, grounded
1 ¼ tsp Onion Powder
1. Mix everything together.
2. Divide into 8 balls and shape into burger patties.
3. Freeze for 2 hours.
4. Set a non-stick pan to medium heat and cook the burger 3-4 min on each side.
5. Remove and let it rest before you assemble the burger.
We have finally cracked the code to the famous special sauce used at various fast food places. Get a taste of this and you'll want to dollop this sauce on everything. We even decided to bring this to our next barbecue potluck event. Just bring a bottle of this and your mates won't even bug you for not bringing an actual dish because this sauce is a killer condiment to dress up any meat or poultry. It will bring your barbecued items to a higher level of tastiness. We wanted to bottle it up and sell it but since we love to share our new discoveries with our fans, we had to shelve the idea.
The Special Sauce
This sauce is filled with delicious ingredients like relish, mayo and pickles.
¼ C Kraft's Mayonnaise
2 Tbs Praise's French dressing
½ Tbs Vlasic's Sweet Relish
2 Tsp Heinz's Dill Pickle Relish, chopped
1 Tsp White Vinegar
1 Tsp Ketchup
¼ C Whipped Cream
1/8 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1. Mix all the ingredients together.
2. Heat in the microwave for 25 sec. Chill for 2 hours.
Aaaahhh...the buns! Usually overshadowed by the patty and its trimmings but in our version it gets equal billing. These buns have an almost sourdough hint. It's also slightly firmer than regular buns but definitely more delicious than those flat dry buns that usually accompany your burgers. We can even eat this on its own.
Fat round buns topped with sesame seeds.
35 g Dry Yeast
1 Cup Warm Milk
Combine ingredients together until bubbles start to form.
1/3 C Warm Milk
1 ½ tsp Sugar
1 ¼ tsp Salt
1 large Egg
4 C Flour, sifted
4 Tbs Butter, unsalted
3 Tbs Sesame Seed
1. Combine all the ingredients except flour and sesame seeds with the yeast mixture in a mixer. Use the paddle attachment on your mixer to mix the ingredients well. Then add flour one cup at a time. Mix at a low speed until it forms rough dough.
2. Change the paddle into the hook attachment. Add butter, set at high speed and mix for 8 mins until the dough is smoother.
3. Remove from mixing bowl, manually knead it and place it into the bowl and cover with damp cloth. Let it rest for 2 hours. Punch the dough to release the air and knead it for 30 sec.
4. Divide it into 2 portions. First portion is divided into 4 balls. Second portion is divided into 6 balls. We wanted to make two different bun sizes. The large and the extra large. Cover both portions with a damp cloth and let it rest for 1 ½ hour.
5. Once done, spray or brush the dough with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 170-180 C for 20 mins.
Layer the tasty items one by one.
When you've completed all the baking, frying and mixing, now it's time to assemble the burger!
2 Beef Patties
1 Sesame Bun, cut into 3 section
2 tbs Special Sauce
A Slice of Cheddar Cheese
A handful of Iceberg Lettuce, chopped
2 Slices Heinz Dill Pickles
2 Tbs Onion, diced, soaked in water for 30 mins and then strained
Diced onions add sweetness to the burger.
Add a dollop of chilli sauce and you've Malaysianised The Max.
The order of the assembled ingredients should be like the list below. This is from top to bottom.
Sesame Bun as base
Have a bite and you'll see how familiar the taste is. We can't divulge which commercial burger it tastes like so make it yourself and you can figure it out on your own. Cheesy, salty onion flavoured patties with the tangy special sauce sandwiched between freshly baked sesame buns. Pickles, lettuce and diced onions complete the combo. The Max has everything but the kitchen sink. Chomp into this delicious combination and get transported to meat nirvana. The Max is da bomb!