Ayam Masak Hitam or more commonly known with the un-PC moniker of Ayam Negro is a dish usually served at Nasi Kandar outlets across Penang. Similar to Ayam Masak Kicap, it has a thick gravy sweetened with raisins.
Serves 4 people
Make this simple dish and enjoy it with 'nasi minyak or 'nasi kandar'.
1/2 Chicken, cut into 6 pieces
1 inch Ginger
5 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 Cup Sweet Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Raisins
1/2 Cup Dark Soy Sauce
3 Tbs Light Sauce
1 Cinnamon Stick
3 Star Anise
3 Cardamom Seeds
4 Tbs Cooking Oil
Salt and Sugar to taste
1. Blend raisins finely using a food processor.
2. Then, blend shallots and ginger into a paste.
3. Marinade the chicken pieces with the blended ingredients, raisins, sweet soy sauce and dark soy sauce for 30 minutes.
4. Heat oil in wok. Add in cinnamon stick, star anise and cardamom seeds. Saute until fragrant.
5. Mix in the marinated chicken. Make sure to add in the blended ingredients and soy sauce mixture as well.
6. Cook for 15 minutes, making sure to stir constantly so the chicken pieces doesn't stick to the bottom of the wok.