1. Preheat oven to 170 C.
2. Make the pastry dough by hand. Whisk flour, sugar and salt.
3. Using your fingers, combine butter and shortening with the flour mixture. Form a dough, if it's too dry, adjust by adding ice water.
4. Do no overwork the dough, you should still be able to see specks of butter on the surface of the dough. Form into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap and chill for 30 mins.
5. For the filling, mix syrup. brown sugar, vanilla, eggs and melted butter together. Add in pecans. Mix thoroughly so all the ingredients are incorporated well.
6. After thawing for 5 mins, roll out crust and place it in a pie pan. Pour in filling. Place leaf shapes made from pastry on top as decoration.
7. Bake for 60 mins. Halfway through ( after about 30 mins ), put foil on top of the pie and continue baking.