Made with chillies, aromatics and belacan, spicy Sambal Ikan is so good that you will be asking for extra servings of rice to enjoy with it. We recommend enjoying it with a plate of hot white rice and a crispy omelette.
Serves 4 people
Make this for a weekday lunch and enjoy it with a plate of hot rice.
2 Fish Fillets (Red Snapper or Pomfret is good)
2 Large Red Onions
4 Cloves Garlic
2 inch Belacan
3 Tbs Tomato Sauce
3 Tbs Chilli Paste
2 Stalks of Lemongrass
2 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbs Brown Sugar
2 Cups oil
1. Rub turmeric and salt on fillets. Fry in oil, about 5 minutes flipping it once. Set aside.
2. Leave about 4 Tbs oil in the wok.
3. In a food processor, blend garlic, onions and belacan, you can also pound them using a pestle and mortar.
4. Saute blended ingredients. Then pound lemongrass stalks and toss them in the wok.
5. Add in chilli paste and saute until 'pecah minyak' (when oil starts to bubble on the surface of the ingredients).
6. Pour in tomato sauce, then add sugar.
7. Lastly, add in fish and let it simmer until fish is fully cooked.