First week of Raya is over! Back to the daily grind and now it is Raya open house season for the next 3 weeks. Want to cook something traditional but with a fresh twist? Then this is the rendang recipe for you. Green chicken rendang is spicy and vibrant in flavour, great for your Raya table!
Green hits the rendang scene!
Serves 8 - 10 people
For better flavour, use kampung green bird's eye chillies.
15 green bird’s eye chillies (40g)
15 green chillies (250g)
1 bunch spring onions (100g)
1 inch turmeric (15g)
2 red onions (120g)
6 cloves garlic
2 inch ginger (30g)
3 inch galangal (60g)
8 lemongrass, chopped (120g)
200ml water, for blending
1 chicken, cut into 10 pieces
750ml water (3 cups)
1 asam keping
4 lemongrass, smashed
2 inch galangal, smashed (40g)
2 tbsp. sugar
3 turmeric leaves, finely shredded
8 pieces kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
200ml coconut milk
2 ½ tsp. salt
1. Blend ingredients for spices until really fine. Pinch paste with fingers to make sure there are no chunky fibrous bits left.
2. Heat oil and sauté blended spices on medium heat until the paste shrinks, it will look a bit dry. This will take about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir once in a while to keep it from catching at the bottom.
3. Add in chicken pieces and little bit of water, cook until the chicken shrinks slightly and is no longer pink on the outside.
4. Add in remaining water, asam keping, smashed lemongrass, smashed galangal, sugar, 1 tsp. salt, half the amount of shredded turmeric leaves and half the amount of shredded kaffir lime leaves.
5. Cook on medium low heat until the liquids have reduced to half. Stir gently from time to time.
6. Add in the remaining shredded turmeric leaves & kaffir lime leaves, coconut milk, kerisik and the remaining salt. Reduce until the gravy is thick, or slightly liquid if you prefer it that way. Rendang is ready!