Aligot. Isn’t that just a sexy name for a potato dish? Basically it’s mashed potatoes with cheese done so lovingly that you can pull up the creamy potatoes in long, sexy strands. Brilliant as an accompaniment for meat or you can just gobble it up as is, curled up on a cosy chair with a good book.
Buttery, cheesy mash... oh yeah!
Serves 3 - 4 people
For the best stretchy, cheese-y effect, use freshly grated Emmantal, Gruyere or Mozzarella.
3 large potatoes
3 cloves garlic, crushed
4 tbsp. butter
1 cup cream, plus extra
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Pinch of white pepper
1. Peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks. Boil in salted water together with crushed garlic until fork tender.
2. Drain and mash until fine. On medium low heat, stir in butter and half of the cream until incorporated.
3. Fold in the grated cheese in 3 batches. Making sure each batch of cheese has melted through before adding in the next.
4. Add in cream bit by bit if the mash is too dry. Season with salt and pepper. The mash should be stringy like melted cheese. It takes about 10 minutes of stirring to achieve the stretchy, cheesy texture.
5. Serve hot with beef ribs or sausages.