If you are a fan of apam, then this is a treat for you! Soft & fluffy apam steamed in rambai leaves, it gets colour and sweetness from the use of raw sugar and smoky aroma from rambai leaves. A delicacy from Negeri Sembilan.
Serves 8 - 10 people
Can be enjoyed as a sweet snack or dipped in sambal for a savoury treat.
100g red gula merah
2 tbsp. white sugar
1 ½ cups water
300g plain flour
2 tbsp. margarine
25 Rambai leaves
Bit of oil
1. Mix gula merah, white sugar and water together and bring it to a boil. Once sugars dissolve, set aside to cool.
2. Sift flour and add in yeast and margarine. Pour in sugar syrup and start mixing until well combined. Mix for 5 minutes with a mixer or 20 minutes by hand.
3. Let dough rest for 20 minutes. The consistency should be very sticky and stretchy.
4. In the meantime, wipe rambai leaves clean and trim off sides to even out the sizes. Use a sharp knife to cut off the leaf’s midrib.
5. Once dough has risen, oil the leaf’s smooth side.
6. Fold it on one side and tuck in under to form a pocket and add in a spoonful of dough onto the center. Fold it again on the opposite side to seal the edges. There should be a small gap in the middle to allow the dough to puff up when it is steamed. Tuck down the edges.
7. Repeat process until all dough are used up.
8. Steam for 10 minutes. Best enjoyed warm from the steamer.
Light and spongy texture