I recently discovered how to make great ribs and just can’t stop making it. Oh man these ribs are good and if you have a pressure cooker then it takes hardly any time before you can sink your teeth in them. The secret to this savoury, lip-smacking sauce is asam jawa that gives it a deep sour-sweetness. Try it! Maybe for Valentine’s Day? I got inspiration for this recipe from Sabrina Ghayour’s Feast Cookbook. I added a few things and of course used beef ribs instead of baby back.
Finger-sucking good ribs!
Serves 2 people
These ribs are the sticky kind and not one that is drowning in sauce. You can really taste the beefiness- a true meat lover's recipe!
Hello there sexy, will you be my Valentine?
1.5kg beef ribs
1 tsp barbecue spices
1/2 tsp salt
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
Water enough to cover
Ridiculously sedap BBQ sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
30g tamarind, mixed with 1 cup hot water
2 Tbs honey
2 Tbs tomato sauce
1 Tbs dark soy sauce
2 Tbs chilli paste
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp cumin powder
Zest of one lime
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1. Clean your beef ribs, trim off access fat and put it in a pressure cooker.
Here I got short ribs but you can also get them in a large rack (in fact if you can find this, buy it!)
2. Put it in a pressure cooker with onion, garlic, barbecue spices (you can get these easy at the shops), salt and water enough to cover it.
3. Cook it on high pressure for about 20 minutes. If you are using a rack, slice them up long and pressure cook them for about 40 minutes. If you don't have a pressure cooker, simmer them in a heavy pot with a lid on a stove-top for 45 minutes- 1 hour.
4. With a little bit of oil cook all the BBQ sauce ingredients together until it simmers nicely, about 10 minutes or so.
5. Once ribs are out of the pressure cooker, slather half the BBQ sauce on the ribs and roast in a preheated oven at 190C for 15 minutes. Take it out, baste with the rest of the sauce and put it back in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
Enjoy with some potatoes!
We recommend you serve it up with this Sexy Aligot (cheesy mashed potatoes). So good!