This fried chicken is a famous staple at Indian-Muslim ( mamak ) joints across Malaysia. Crispy, juicy and bursting with spices, it’s sinful and greasy but so freakin’ delicious which makes it simply irresistible.
3 Large Chicken Drumsticks, scored
4 cloves Garlic
1 Large Onion
an inch of Ginger
1 Tbs Chicken Curry Powder
½ Tbs White Pepper
2 Tbs Chilli Powder
½ tsp Turmeric Powder
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar (optional)
2 sprigs Curry Leaf
Enough Oil for deep-frying
1. Blend aromatics into a thick paste.
2. Combine the spice mix and aromatics paste together. Coat the chicken with the mixture and marinade for at least 2 hours. ( Overnight is best )
3. Heat up enough oil for deep-frying.
4. Once the oil starts to heat up, add curry leaves.
5. When the leaves start to crisp up, carefully put the chicken pieces in.
6. Fry the chicken until it turns a reddish golden brown colour.
7. Once done, take the chicken out of the oil and rest for 5 mins, then cut into smaller pieces and serve.
Ayam Goreng Mamak