This beautiful Nyonya dish is a classic and a local treasure. It is a dish that requires some time, patience and TLC, but when it comes together, boy, is it worth it: Tender chunks of chicken, potatoes and mushrooms, simmered in a sweet, savoury sauce that is 100% delicious, you wouldn’t want to stop eating it!
Serves 4-5 people
This dish will taste even better if allowed to 'mesra' overnight!
1 chicken, cut into bite size pieces
20-25 shallots, peeled and sliced thin
2-3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 Tbs taucu paste
20-25 shiitake mushrooms, soaked for 15 minutes and cut in half
3 potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
1 Tbs kicap pekat
1/2 a block of gula melaka
5 Tbs oil
Salt to taste
1. Heat the oil and add in the shallots and garlic.
2. Over a low fire, cook the shallots and garlic for 15-20 minutes, until they are soft and deep brown.
3. Add in the taucu paste and stir to combine.
4. Next, add in the chicken, mushrooms, potatoes, water and soy sauce. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the flame and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Add in the block of gula melaka. Simmer another 15-20 minutes.
6. Season to taste with salt.