We dub this rending ‘malas’ because it’s usually thrown together with what’s in the cupboard. The taste is rich, like a more concentrated masak lemak. Because it does not use kerisik (grated coconut dry fried and pounded into a paste), this is also a good entry level rendang.
Last minute chicken rendang!
Serves 3 - 4 servings people
You can make it as spicy as you like by adding more cili paid.
1 whole chicken, cut into 8
1 1/2 inch ginger, chopped
10-15 cili padi
2 red onions, chopped
1 Tbs turmeric powder or freshly grated turmeric
1 turmeric leaf, shredded
3-4 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
800ml coconut milk
2 pieces asam keping
Oil for frying
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pat dry the chicken. In a searing hot pan, brown the outsides and set aside.
2. Blend the cili padi, ginger, shallots and turmeric powder/grated turmeric together.
3. Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a big pot or wok. When the oil is hot, add in the blended mixture and cook until fragrant and slightly browned. Stir to avoid burning!
4. Pour in the coconut milk and let simmer for 1 hour.
5. After 1 hour, add in the chicken and asam keping. Cook for another hour, or until the gravy is almost dry and the oil separates (pecah minyak).
6. Lastly, add in the shredded turmeric leaf and kaffir lime leaves, season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir to combine well.'
7. Best served with piping hot, slightly soft rice!