Similar to our own Ayam Masak Kicap, Ayam Semur is an Indonesian stew made out of sweet soy sauce and a variety of spices. The most distinctive flavour is from the use of cloves and nutmeg. There are many variations available, tweaked to personal preference. I could say this is my new comfort food favourite.
Ayam masak kicap with a twist.
Serves 4 people
If you are using just breast meat, do rub in 1 tbsp. of vinegar to the chicken before frying it. It will tenderize the meat.
500g chicken, cut into small pieces
½ tsp. salt
Oil for frying
1 lemongrass, crushed
5 cloves garlic, pounded
5 shallots, pounded
3 cloves, pounded
Pinch of white pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
¼ tsp. grounded black pepper
3 tbsp. sweet soy sauce
1 tsp. soy sauce
1. Rub salt all over the chicken and fry until half cooked. No need to brown it as it will be covered in dark sauce.
2. Remove most of the cooking oil, leaving only 3 tbsp. in the wok.
3. Fry the lemongrass stalk to perfume the oil. Add the pounded ingredients and sauté till fragrant.
4. Add in the partially cooked chicken, cloves, white pepper, nutmeg, black pepper, sweet soy sauce, soy sauce and water.
5. Simmer until the sauce has reduced and chicken is cooked throug