This is a simple spicy rendang that uses minimal ingredients for big flavour. Cook down chunks of beef in this creamy and spicy gravy and what you get is a dish fit for the Raya table to be eaten with ketupat and lemang.
Serves 3 - 4 people
Use lamb chunks for variation
2 inch ginger
2 inch galangal
3 stalks lemongrass
2 red onions
1/2 cup cili boh/ chilli paste
250ml coconut milk
1 Tbs tamarind juice
100g kerisik (grated coconut dry fried then pounded into a paste
2 turmeric leaves, cut finely
4/5 kaffir lime leaves
Salt to taste
3-4 Tbs oil
1. Blend ginger, galangal, lemongrass, onions and cili boh with a little water into a wet paste.
2. Heat oil and fry spice paste until fragrant and pecah minyak (oil breaks through), 5 minutes.
3. Add in coconut milk and tamarind juice. Allow it to simmer down. Add in turmeric leaves and kaffir lime so the flavour will be incorporated into the gravy.
4. Once the gravy looks well incorporated, about 10 minutes add in the beef. Reduce flame and allow beef to simmer for about an hour.
5. Add in kerisik and salt to taste and cook until gravy is a little dry and the dish turns a lovely dark brown colour.