Begedels are a popular side dish in Malay cooking. You can eat it with rice or add it in soto. They’re basically Asian potato cakes. Mash potatoes are combined with meat, chicken or fish, formed into balls and then coated with egg prior to frying to create a crispy brown crust. Golden on the outside, fluffy on the inside, fry up these perfect begedels today!
4 Large Potatoes ( cubed and deep-fried )
4 Cloves of Garlic
200 gm Minced Beef or Chicken
4 Stalks of Spring Onion
1/4 Cup Fried Shallots
Salt to taste
Blackpepper to taste
2 Eggs ( beaten, for coating the potato balls before frying )
1. Mash potatoes.
2. Saute garlic and onions till fragrant.
3. Remove some oil. Add meat to the aromatics. Continue to saute until meat has browned.
4. Combine mash potatoes with the meat. Mix well. Be careful as the meat mixture is still hot.
5. Mix in spring onions and fried shallots. Make sure everything is well integrated.
6. Shape the mixture into balls. About a tablespoon each. ( Form smaller balls if you want to add this to soto. )
7. Refrigerate for a few minutes.
8. Dip the balls in egg.
9 Fry until golden brown.