American biscuits is not like biskut tin. It’s okay. You are not the only one who got confused at first. It is like the lovechild of a scone and short crust pastry. And it is usually eaten with fried chicken & gravy or with butter & jam. No need to run to Texas Chicken to buy some, just switch on your oven and follow these simple steps. You’re gonna love this easy-to-follow recipe.
Buttery, crumbly goodness
Serves 4 - 6 people
Dough will look slightly lumpy. That is the tiny bits of butter so do not knead it to smooth it out. Leave it as it is.
2 cups flour (sift first then only measure out 2 cups)
1 ¾ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
110g cold butter, cut into cubes
¾ cup cold buttermilk
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. butter
1. Preheat oven 220˚c. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Put flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a food processor and pulse 3 times. Add cold butter into food processor and pulse 10 to 15 times until the flour and butter resembles large breadcrumbs.
Those small bits are chopped up butter. Blitz until it is pea sized or slightly smaller.
3. Pour in cold buttermilk into flour butter mixture. Pulse 8 – 10 times, or until it slightly clumps together. DO NOT OVER MIX until it becomes a dough ball.
4. Pour dough out onto flour dusted surface. Gather the little small clumps and pat it into the big dough ball. Don’t knead. Dust the top with more flour. Use a rolling pin to roll it out to 1 inch thickness. Fold it in half and roll out again.
I folded and rolled 2 times. This creates layers in the biscuit
5. Use a 2 inch round cookie cutter and cut out pieces of biscuits and place them on lined baking tray.
Traditionally, biscuits are round but it usually leaves some dough trimmings. I cut it into squares so there are no wastage
6. Beat egg and brush it on top of the biscuit. Bake in the oven for about 13 – 15 minutes. Until golden brown.
7. Gently heat up honey and butter glaze. You can do it in a small sauce pan or zap it for 15 seconds in the microwave.
8. Take biscuits out of the oven and brush on honey glaze while it is still hot.
All the buttery honey goodness will soak into the biscuit
9. Serve it with some fried chicken or with some butter and jam. Tastes amazing either way!