This Holiday season, impress your guests with these tangy-spicy chicken wings recipe. The Szechuan peppercorns add a fuzzy, spicy and warm kick that perfectly plays off with the sweet and jammy cranberries. Perfect as an appetizer or to pass around as finger-food. Easy peasy to make too.
A scrumptious Holiday snack..
Serves 3 - 4 people
Szechuan peppercorns give off a lightly numbing, tingly heat.
1/2 dozen chicken wings (flats and drummets separated)
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cranberries, chopped
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns, toasted and ground to a powder
1 tbsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for cooking
1. Toss the wings with salt and pepper. Heat up about 1/2 cup of oil in a pan and fry the wings on medium heat until golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
2. Drain 3/4 of the oil from the pan. Back on the fire, fry the onions and cranberries until softened. Add sugar.
3. Continue frying the onions and cranberries until browned, then add the water. Add the peppercorns.
4. Bring to a boil, then simmer until reduced by 3/4. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
5. Toss the chicken wings back in the pan. Stir to coat well.