- What to cook
- Crispy Chicken Rendang – Tried and Tested!
Crispy Chicken Rendang – Tried and Tested!
Yes yes yes… we are bringing up that Crispy Rendang fiasco again. Why not tho? Gregg Wallace’s blasphemous Rendang comments gave us a brilliant idea. I mean, really… We love Fried Chicken and we love Rendang. Why not combine the two? So we tested it (many may times!), and we LOVED it!
Serves 4 - 6 people
Kerisik gives the batter a lovely coconut-y flavour.
6 – 8 pieces chicken rendang (leftovers are the best)
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp. salt
White pepper powder
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
2 tbsp. kerisik
2 tbsp. rendang sauce
1 packet fried chicken flour premix
Oil for frying
1. Pre-heat oil to 170˚c.
2. Separate rendang sauce from the chicken. You can scrape it off with a spoon.
3. In one bowl, combine flour, salt, white pepper powder, coconut milk, water, kerisik and rendang sauce. Whisk it all out until there are no lumps left.
4. In a second bowl, pour out the fried chicken flour premix.
5. Time to coat the chicken. Take a piece of chicken rendang, coat it in flour premix and shake off excess and submerge it in the batter. Make sure it is well coated, left the excess batter drip off and dredge it in flour premix one more time.
6. Fry coated chicken pieces for 2 – 4 minutes, until the batter is golden brown and crispy. Remember, the chicken is already cooked so there is no need to fry it for a long time.
7. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with the remaining Rendang sauce. Enjoy!