These are brownies for those who like their chocolaty treats dark and a little bittersweet. They are excellent warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a tall, cold glass of milk.
Dark and chocolaty brownies...
Serves 4 - 5 people
If you prefer your brownies sweeter, simply opt for milk chocolate chips and add another 1/2 cup of sugar.
1 1/4 cups dark cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp espresso powder
1 Tbs vanilla extract
227g unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
340g dark chocolate chips
1. You need a 9" x 13" pan. Heat the oven to 180c.
2. Beat eggs in a bowl with cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder and vanilla extract for 4 minutes.
3. Melt butter over low heat and add sugar, stirring to combine. It should become shinny as you stir it.
4. Add this butter to the egg/ cocoa mixture, stirring until smooth.
5. Add flour and chocolate chips.
6. Spoon butter into the lightly greased baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. A tester poked in should come out clean.
7. Cool before cutting and serving.