We know: this is probably the most unhealthy recipe we’ve done this year. But it is also ridiculously, sinfully delicious. Deep fried Mars bars (and other candy bars) were made famous from various ‘chip shops’ in Scotland and they’ve made their way around the globe now. Mukha Cafe in TTDI has one, and this here is our version. Tread carefully: it’s yummy. Dangerously so.
Sinfully, dangerously yummy.
Serves 2 people
Now you can deep fry any candy bar.
2 Mars bars, frozen and cut into 3 pieces each
3/4 cup flour, sifted
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
About 1 cup iced water
Oil for deep frying
1. To make the batter, whisk the flour, cinnamon, salt, sugar and iced water together to make a smooth batter. It shouldn't be too thick or too thin. The batter should make ribbons when you lift out the whisk.
2. Refrigerate the batter for 1/2 hour to rest the gluten.
3. When ready to fry, heat the oil. Test it by dropping some of the batter in: it should sizzle and float straight away.
4. Using a fork, dip the frozen chunks of Mars bars in the batter. Fry, 3 pieces at a time for 5 minutes on medium-high heat.
5. When done, drain on paper towels. Serve with ice cream, fruits, confectioners sugar.
And a glass of cold water to take away that sweetness once you're done!