Ayam Percik is found at every Ramadhan food bazaar and it is a staple dish to have during the holy month. Here is a simple take on the most beloved BBQ chicken.
The ultimate Malaysian BBQ classic!
Serves 4 - 6 people
Grilling the chicken over hot coals will give it lovely smoky BBQ flavor.
1 whole chicken (cut in half)
½ tsp. turmeric powder
2 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
3 red chillies
2 tbsp. chilli paste
2 stalks lemon grass (bruised)
1 tsp. roasted belacan
1 tsp. assam keeping
1 tsp. fenugreek seeds
200ml fresh coconut milk
1. Massage the turmeric powder onto the chicken.
2. For the sauce, blend the shallots, garlic, ginger and red chillies. Then mix the blended paste together with the rest of the ingredients in a pot, cook on a medium heat until the oil from coconut milk splits.
3. Add the chicken halves into the sauce and cook until the juices run clear.
4. Remove the chicken from the pot and grill on a hot griddle. Douse it with sauce and keep grilling until you see charred marks.
5. Douse it again with sauce for 2 more rounds and the chicken is ready.
6. Cut each halves into 2 before serving. Serve with the remaining sauce in the pot.