Vindaloo is a dish with origins from Goa, India. But it’s best known in its British curry house form all around the world. This version is easy to make but still packs a great punch from the spices and a rich, lingering heat. Vindaloo is known for its spiciness, and this version will definitely knock your socks off… and keep you coming back for more.
Rich, fiery, 100% delicious.
Serves 3 - 4 people
Tone down the spice in this recipe by omitting the cili padi.... or crank it up by adding more.
2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
2 carrots, diced
1/2 can diced tomatoes
1 onion, cubed
3 cloves garlic, cubed
3 cili padi
1 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp black pepper
1/4 cup tamarind juice/asam jawa
Salt to taste
Brown sugar to taste
Bit of water
Oil for frying
1. Blend all the ingredients with a bit of water to form a paste except for the chicken and carrots.
2. In a pot or wok, heat 1 tbsp oil and pour in the spice paste. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add in the carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Then, add in the chicken cubes and tamarind juice.
4. Bring to a boil, then simmer another 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and sugar.
5. Serve hot, with rice or flat-breads.