Baking bread at home is no longer a daunting task. This recipe is great for those without an oven but still can enjoy freshly made bread anytime.
No buns in the oven - literally
Serves 4 people
Best place to proof bread is in a warm area like the top of your fridge.
2 ½ cups plain flour, plus extra for dusting
¾ tsp. salt
175 ml luke warm water
1 tsp. sugar
1 packet dry yeast.
1. Mix together the warm water, sugar and yeast in a bowl. When it starts to bubble, it is ready.
2. Measure out the flour & salt and add it into a food processor with the dough kneading attachment.
3. Add the bubbly yeast water and pulse until a dough ball starts to form in the food processor. Pulse it 3 seconds at a time for about 2 minutes
4. Scrape out the contents onto a flour dusted surface.
5. Lightly dust your hands shape the dough into a ball and place it into a large bowl with a little drizzle of olive oil at the bottom to prevent sticking.
6. Cover the bowl with a wet kitchen towel and let it proof for an hour.
7. After an hour and the dough has doubled in size, tip out the dough onto a flour dusted work surface again and knock out the air bubbles by kneading it for another minute.
8. Portion the dough into 6 balls and cover with the wet kitchen towel to let it proof again for half an hour.
9. Once the dough has risen for the second time, dust your work surface again and roll the dough out into 5mm thickness.
10. Heat a non-stick pan on medium high and cook your flatbread on both sides dry without any oil.
11. Jazz up your flatbreads by rubbing each side with some olive oil and a sprinkling of seeds, olives, zaataar, jalapenos, dried herbs.. anything you fancy really.