Everyone loves a fabulous strawberry tart! It’s super impressive looking and tastes incredible. This recipe is simple enough to make that your kids can help you with it. It makes a lovely dessert or for afternoon tea. You’ll soon find out there’s not enough for everyone!
Serves 4 - 6 people
Substitute strawberries with other fruits: grapes, mangoes, kiwis. Anything you like.
For the crust:
300g flour, sifted
200g cold butter, cut into cubes
100g fine caster sugar
A bit of water
For the custard filling:
2 egg yolks
A drop of vanilla
1 tbsp gelatin mixed with 2 tbsp water, soaked for 10 minutes
For the topping:
2 packets strawberries, halved
1 packet honey roasted macadamias
1 tbsp gelatin powder
1/4 cup blackcurrant juice
*Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Grease a false-bottomed tart tin with butter.
1. In a food processor, put in the flour and sugar. Blitz for 15 seconds.
2. Add in the butter bit by bit, blitzing everytime to incorporate into the flour.
3. Finish adding the butter and add a bit of water to bring everything together.
4. Once it's all mixed up and forms a dough, gather it into a ball and wrap with clingfilm. Chill for 30 minutes to rest.
5. Once rested, roll out the dough to a uniform thickness; about 4 -5 mm. Lay onto the tart tin.
6. Poke holes at the bottom of the tin and bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Once baked, take it out and let it cool completely.
7. While the crust is cooling, make the custard. Whisk all milk, eggs, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together in a pot. Place the pot on the stove and cook, stirring continously, until it bubbles and thickens.
8. Stir in the gelatin and mix thoroughly. Pour into the tart shell/crust and set in the freezer for 1 hour.
9. Once the tart and filling is cooled, arrange the strawberries on top of the filling.
10. Next, mix the blackcurrant juice with gelatin. Microwave or heat over a fire for 2-3 minutes, until all the gelatin is dissolved. With a pastry brush, brush all over the top of the tart with the juice mix.
11. Leave to set in the fridge another 15 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle the honey roasted macadamias. Now it's done!