Need something on the low carb spectrum for a weekday meal? This is an excellent recipe hack for pasta. Instead of your usual wheat spaghetti, try making this saucy dish with ribbons of eggplant. We tried it and were amazed at how satisfying it was! And the purples and reds are gorgeous served on a plate.
An excellent alternative to wheat pasta!
Serves 3 - 4 people
You can also use zucchini for this recipe.
2 long eggplants
2 tins of peeled tomato
4 cloves garlic
1 tbs Sri racha or your favourite chilli sauce
1 tbs mirin
1 bay leaf
Some fresh basil (optional)
Parmesan to scatter on top
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Drizzle some olive oil into a pan and fry onions and garlic until a little soft.
2. Add in peeled tomatoes, bay leaf, sri racha and mirin. Stir until a little thick, about 5 mins. Add salt and pepper.
3. Use a peeler to get ribbons out of your eggplant. Add some water to your sauce and stir in eggplant ribbons.
4. Close your pan for 2-3 minutes so eggplants will get soft and steam in the sauce.
5. You also have an option here of dropping your eggplant ribbons into simmering salted water for 2-3 minutes and then adding it to sauce. Frankly, we are all for the lazier option of cooking it together.
6. Add in fresh basil and parmesan if desired.