There are many variations of Ayam Masak Merah out there and this is one of my favourites. The fragrance from the lemon grass and kaffir life leaves just makes it so wonderful!
Simple, fragrant and tasty!
2 chicken, cut into strips
½ tsp. turmeric powder
½ tsp. salt
1 large red onion
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp. chilli paste
2 tsp. sugar
2 lemongrass, crushed
4 pieces kaffir lime leaves
3 tbsp. tomato ketchup
Pinch of salt & sugar
1. Marinade the chicken strips with turmeric powder and salt for 10 minutes.
2. Blend the red onion, garlic, chilli paste and sugar into a smooth paste.
3. Fry the chicken strips until just cooked. Set it aside
4. Using ¼ cup of the frying oil, sauté the blended paste until it shrinks.
5. Add in the crushed lemon grass, tear in the kaffir life leaves and tomato ketchup.
6. Loosen with a bit of water and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
7. Stir in the cooked chicken strips and simmer again for another couple of minutes.
8. Season with salt and sugar. Serve piping hot.