This Indonesian salad will make you fall in love with salads all over again. Packed with fresh vegetables, eggs, potatoes, tofu and tempeh – served with a bowl of sweet and spicy peanut sauce. It is healthy, suitable for vegetarians and meat lovers will cave in too!
Who said salads had to be leafy?
Serves 4 - 6 people
The oil will spatter while frying the garlic and chillies, cover pot with a lid to protect yourself.
2 cups oil for frying
2 pieces firm tofu, cut bite sized
1 piece tempeh, cut bite sized
2 eggs, boiled
1 potato, boiled
60g cabbage, cut bite sized
60g long beans, cut into batons
60g kangkung, cleaned (water spinach)
60g beansprouts, cleaned
60g cucumber, cut into batons
60g sengkuang, cut into batons (jicama)
½ cup oil for frying
120g raw peanuts
3 – 4 red cilli padi
1 red chilli
5 cloves garlic
½ inch chekor roots
2 big pieces kaffir lime leaves
1 tsp. salt
70g palm sugar
1 tbsp. tamarind paste diluted with 120ml hot water
1. Heat up oil and fry tofu and tempeh pieces until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
Fry until golden brown
2. Get a pot of boiling water on, boil potatoes and eggs until they are cooked. Peel and cut, set it aside.
3. Blanch cabbage, long beans, kangkung and beansprouts for 15 – 30 seconds and drain. Squeeze out excess water. Set it aside.
4. To make the sauce, fry peanuts starting with cold oil and let it come up to frying temperature. Once it is light golden brown, drain on paper towels and pound it fine in a mortar and pestle.
5. Using the same oil, fry whole chillies, garlic and chekor roots for a few minutes until it is golden brown and slightly shrunk. Transfer into mortar and pestle together with lime leaves, pound until fine.
6. Season with salt, palm sugar and strain in tamarind juice. Mix well and pour sauce into a bowl.
7. Arrange vegetables, potatoes and eggs neatly onto a plate and serve with peanut sauce. The best way to eat this is to take a little bit of everything onto your place and douse it with sauce. Enjoy!