Hainanese Chicken Chop is one of the greatest recipe creations ever. This classic dish is usually found in Kopitiams but it is one of those dishes you have to learn how to cook. The key is good marinade and good sauce. Try it out! It would be a nice change from your usual dinner selections.
Serves 2 people
While marinating chicken, you can make the sauce in first and keep warm to save some time.
2 chicken chops, skin off
1 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. oyster sauce
½ tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. corn flour
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 cup water
¼ cup tomato sauce
2 tbsp. chilli sauce
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. chicken seasoning powder
Pinch of salt
2 tsp. corn flour mixed with 1 tbsp. water
½ cup flour
1 egg, beaten
1 cup breadcrumbs
Oil for frying
1 red onion, sliced
1 tomato, cut into wedges
½ cup mixed frozen veggies (optional)
1. Mix all ingredients together for chicken marinade and marinate it for 15 minutes.
I realised it is better to remove the chicken skin because it doesn't really crisp up. Only the breadcrumbs on the outside gets crispy
2. For the sauce, mix water, tomato, chilli and soy sauce and set aside.
3. Put flour, egg and breadcrumbs in individual containers/bowls.
Use wide plates for the flour and breadcrumbs so you don't make too much mess
4. Take marinated chicken chops and dredge with flour, then dipped in egg, finally coated with breadcrumbs.
Remember the order - flour, egg and breadcrumbs
5. Heat up oil to 170˚c and fry chicken chops till crispy and golden brown. Fry up some fries and season with a little salt.
>Set chicken aside to rest
6. In a pan, heat up a little oil and sauté sliced onions till slightly soft and translucent. Pour in sauce premix, tomato wedges and mix frozen veggies. Simmer for a few minutes until veggies are cooked.
7. Season with sugar, chicken seasoning powder and salt. Lastly, pour in corn flour slurry to thicken.
Pour in half of the slurry first and check consistency. Add more if you prefer it to be thicker
8. Serve chicken chop with fries and pour all that good sauce all over the chicken.
Dig in and enjoy!