It’s hard to find a satisfying Halal Hokkien Mee in town. Often, the ones you find are usually too tawar or no uumph. Sigh… Sedih ah… So…make it at home lah because it’s pretty much a noodle stir-fry. Then, top it off with a soft boiled egg, lagi sexy and sedap!
Thick yellow noodles in dark, sticky sauce
Serves 1 - 2 people
The thick yellow noodles are about the diameter of chopsticks. If you are using thinner yellow noodles, reduce water amount to ¾ cup.
2 tbsp. oil/chicken oil
½ chicken breast, sliced thinly
5 fishballs, halved
½ cup cabbage, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
250g thick yellow noodles
White pepper powder
Corn flour slurry (1 tbsp. corn flour + 2 tbsp. water)
1 half boiled egg (optional)
2 or 3 tbsp. dark soy sauce (depends on how dark you like it to be)
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 cup water
½ tsp. sugar
1. Combine seasoning sauce in a bowl and set it aside.
I used Jalen brand dark soy sauce and it is not crazy thick. So I used 2 tbsp. of it. Brands like Popo have thicker consistency so use 1 tbsp. first, and if you prefer it to be darker, add in while you are cooking. Use your instincts.
2. Heat oil in a wok and fry chicken breast until just cooked.
Toss until just cooked. You can use chicken thighs, beef or squid.
3. Toss in cabbage, shrimp and fish ball. Cook for about 30 seconds. Add in chopped garlic and cook until garlic is golden brown.
Don't burn the garlic. It will make the entire dish bitter
4. Pour in noodles and toss for about 30 seconds. Pour in seasoning sauce and let it simmer for about 3 – 5 minutes, until noodles become tender. The sauce will reduce and get darker.
Thick yellow noodles like these needs to be cooked until tender. If you use normal yellow noodles, you need to reduce simmering time.
5. Pour in half of the corn flour slurry. If you are happy with the sauce’s consistency, dish it out. But if you like it thicker, add in more slurry bit by bit until you get desired consistency.
6. Dish out onto a plate and crack in a half boiled egg. Eat with pickled green chillies or sambal belacan. Make sure you’re not wearing white!
Break the yolk and mix it all in.