Fast food pizza doesn’t cut it for me anymore. The guilt that comes after is just not worth it. Learn how to make a good pizza base from scratch and you will be making your very own artisan pizzas at home. This one gives you a thin crust pizza.
No more greasy take-aways!
Serves 4 people
The dough can be made a day before and kept in the fridge up to 24 hours.
500g flour, sifted
1 tsp. salt
1 packet yeast (11g)
350ml warm water
Pinch of sugar
Extra flour for dusting
Toppings (Personal Preference)
Mozzarella cheese, grated
Cheddar cheese, grated
Parmesan cheese, grated
Fresh rocket leaves
Fresh basil leaves
Turkey ham slices
1. Set the oven mode to top grill and turn the temperature to maximum heat. Slide in the oven tray on the second level and leave it to heat up.
2. Mix the yeast, warm water and sugar in a bowl and give it a stir. Leave it for a couple of minutes to bubble up. Sift the flour into a bowl and add in the
3. Pour in the yeast water and use a fork to mix it around until it is difficult to stir.
4. Tip the contents onto a lightly flour dusted surface and knead the dough. Collect the small bits of dough as you go. Knead for about 8 – 10 minutes until the dough is smooth.
5. Divide the dough into 4 balls and place it on a lightly flour dusted roasting tray and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough proof for 2 hours.
6. After 2 hours, it will double in size. Dust your work surface again and use your hands or rolling pin to roll out the dough into a 3mm pizza base. Transfer it onto a pizza pan.
7. Time to add the toppings. Spread the pizza sauce on first as a base. Followed by the grated cheese and cold cuts of your choice. Experiment and try out different flavours and toppings.
8. Bake the pizza for 5 – 8 minutes until the crust and toppings are deep golden brown.
9. Carefully remove from the oven and let it cool for a couple of minutes before slicing it up. Garnish with fresh herbs if you like and devour your fresh home-made pizza!