Raya is in a few days so it is time to make some Ketupas Palas. This iconic Raya dish is a must have for Rendang and Serunding, plus it is a great activity to get the kids involved. The tradition must live on!
Serves 20 people
Taste and adjust seasoning to glutinous rice while it is still in slurry form so the seasoning will be distributed evenly.
1kg glutinous rice
1 ½ tsp. salt
200ml coconut milk
1 cup grated white coconut
4 cups water
½ cup black eyed peas (optional)
1. Lightly wash glutinous rice and mix all ingredients together except for the peas. The water should cover all the rice.
2. Cook until ¾ cooked. Then stir in peas.
3. Once it is a nice slurry, cook over small heat and stir gently for 15 minutes.
4. Once cooked, close the pot and let it rest for ½ hour. This is so that the glutinous rice will kembang (bloom).
5. Start filling up the Lepat Palas once it’s cooled. To do so, double roll the palas leaf to make a cone shape and use a wet hand put in about one handful of the cooked rice into it.
6. Roll it several times at a triangle angle and secure it by tucking the leaf under and knotting it at the end.
7. Cover with water and boil for 1 to 1 ½ hours until water is completely dry.
Boiling the ketupat helps it retain singature shape after unraveling the leaf
Best eaten with Rendang and Serunding