Peanut sauce goes well with plenty of local Malay dishes. Dip your satay in it, serve as rojak sauce or douse it over some nasi impit, it is a great accompaniment to have on your table.
One of the best dipping sauce ever
Serves 10 people
This recipe is slightly on the sweeter side. Reduce the amount of sugar if you want it more savoury and less sweet.
½ cup oil
2 cups water (for blending)
80g dried chillies, soaked
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp. dried shrimp (10g)
¼ cup oil
¼ cup sugar
100g gula melaka
2 tsp. salt
1. Fry peanuts in oil until it becomes dark brown.
2. Remove peanuts from oil and blend with 2 cups water until semi-smooth.
3. Blend all the spices together until smooth. Add a little water to the blender if needed.
4. Heat up oil and sauté blended spices together until paste shrinks.
5. Add in sugar, gula Melaka and salt. Simmer until sugars dissolve. The colour will turn very dark and glossy.
6. Pour in blended peanuts and water. Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until sauce thickens up slightly. Adjust seasoning (salt and sugar) to personal preference.