Kuih Kapal Terbang, is also known as Kuih Tiram, Lidah Buaya and Lidah Kucing. It is a crunchy kuih made out of layers of crispy pastry dusted with icing sugar that just melts in your mouth!
Sweet, crunchy and sinful
Serves 10 - 15 people
Dust work surface with a little flour when rolling out dough to prevent it from sticking.
6 tbsp. cornflour
6 tbsp. oil
500g plain flour
2 tbsp. margarine
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Mix cornflour and oil until it becomes a smooth paste, set aside.
2. Incorporate margarine into flour. Beat egg and add it to flour together with water.
3. Knead until it forms a smooth dough. Rest dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Roll out rested dough to about 5mm thick and brush cornflour oil all over, covering the surface.
This process is what gives this kuih it's signature swirl pattern
5. Roll it into a cylinder and cut into slices.
6. Flatten each slice, you can see swirl effect on the dough. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
Use you finger or the palm of your hand and press down gently
7. Deep fry cold dough in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on a rack to remove excess grease.
8. Cool to room temperature and dust with icing sugar.