This is a traditional kuih that you can find easily at roadside stalls in Malaysia. It’s a rolled up pandan flavoured pancake with gula melaka and coconut filling. Pandan gives the pancake a lovely green colour and a wonderful fragrant flavour.
Green , green rolls of home.......
Serves 4 people
It's a classic Malaysian kuih that will go so well with a nice pot of tea.
2 Cup Grated Coconut
60 – 80 g Gula Kabung / Melaka ( Palm Sugar )
¼ Cup Coconut Milk
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Large Egg
½ Cup Pandan Juice ( 2-4 pandan leaves blended with ½ cup water and strained )
1 Cup Coconut Milk
2 Tbs Vegetable Oil
2 Pandan Leaves, tied together to use as a brush
A pinch of Salt
1. Melt the sugar with coconut milk.
2. Once the sugar has melted, coat the grated coconut with the mixture and make sure it's not too dry.
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk flour, egg, pandan juice, coconut milk and salt together.
2. Heat a non stick pan and brush it with oil using the pandan leaves brush.
3. Pour about a half cup of batter and move the pan around to spread the batter evenly. Use the same technique as making crepes.
4. Once cooked, remove from the pan and fill it with the coconut filling.
5. Roll the pancake like a Vietnamese spring roll or 'Popia'.
6. Repeat the steps until you've used up all the batter.