Green pandan flavoured crêpe rolls filled with caramelized coconut. You can buy this at most kuih stalls but it is easy to make! No mad kitchen skills needed to pull this off. The key is to use good quality Gula Melaka (if you have any). But store bought ones are perfectly alright, it will still be sedap!
Make this childhood kuih!
Serves 3 - 4 people
Coconut filling can be made in advance and kept frozen up to 3 months.
50g gula melaka
2 tbsp. sugar
1 pandan leaf, knotted
2 tbsp. water
70g grated white coconut
¼ tsp. salt
5 pandan leaves
300ml coconut milk
1 large egg
¼ tsp. salt
1. Make the coconut filling. Break up gula melaka into smaller pieces and combine with sugar, pandan leaf and water in a wok. Cook on low heat until the sugars dissolve. Add in the freshly grated coconut and cook until it is sticky. This should take about 5 minutes. Set it aside.
2. Make the pandan extract. Cut up the leaves into small pieces and blend it with water. Strain to discard fibers. Set it aside.
3. Make the batter. Combine all the ingredients together with pandan extract and give it a good mix. Strain out lumps if any. Let the batter stand in the fridge for 10 minutes.
4. Heat up a non-stick pan on low heat and grease lightly with oil. Pour ¼ cup of batter onto the center and swirl the pan to spread out the batter into a thin circle.
5. Cook only on one side, do not brown the crepe. When the crepe is set, slide it out onto a plate, cooked side down.
6. Time to roll, take a piece of crepe and place 1 tablespoon of coconut onto the center and roll it up like a spring roll. Repeat process until all the crepe and coconut is used up.
7. Serve with a hot cup of tea or freshly brewed local coffee. Match made in heaven!