I like to cook the meat together with the rice because you can use one pot and the flavour of the meat will infuse into the rice making it richer and more fragrant. Then I’ll serve it with a jelatah (sweet-sour cucumber salad).
I make briyani when there’s a celebration.
Serves 4 - 5 people
This is an earthier briyani great eaten on cold nights
500g lamb meat, chopped in chunks
1 onion, sliced
2 inches ginger, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups rice
1/2 cup ghee
1 packet briyani spices (if you don't have it use- 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, a cinnamon stick and 2 cardamom pods)
A little bit of saffron (optional)
31/2 cups chicken stock
Salt to taste
1 pandanus leaf
1. Fry garlic, onion and ginger in the ghee until fragrant.
2. Add the briyani spices and saffron, stirring it a little so that it'll infuse the ghee.
3. Stir in lamb and fry it until it's half-cooked.
4. Add in the rest of the ingredients and cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Turn down fire to a low simmer and let it cook for about 25 minutes until the rice is fluffy.
6. Scatter some almond flakes, fried shallots, sultanas, mint and serve.