- What to cook
- Lamb chops at home: Affordable and easy!
Lamb chops at home: Affordable and easy!
Sometimes a good plate of grilled lamb chops just hits the spot when you have meat cravings. It’s not too expensive either when you cook it yourself and get shoulder chops. RM40 can get you 7-8 slices- pretty sweet eh? Serve it up with some garlic mash spuds, and veggies to balance it out and douse it in creamy black pepper sauce – it is lip-smacking good!
Get your lamb fix at home!
Serves 2 people
Fresh herbs are great to eliminate lamb’s game-y odour.
4 pieces lamb shoulder chops
A drizzle of oil
½ tsp. black pepper powder
Salt to season
Garlic Mashed Potato
4 russet potatoes
6 cloves garlic, peeled
Salt and pepper to taste
Creamy Black Pepper Sauce
½ beef stock cube
300ml hot water
½ tbsp. black pepper powder
Vegetable of your choice
1. Rub oil all over lamb chops and season with black pepper powder and salt to taste. Set it aside to marinate a bit.
2. Peel and cut potatoes into chunks and boil it with garlic and lightly salted water until fork tender. Drain off water and mash potatoes, season with butter, milk, salt and pepper. Set it aside.
3. Melt butter in a sauce pan and stir in flour to make a roux (flour and butter based thickening agent). Slowly cook on low heat until roux is dark brown in colour, the aroma will be slightly nutty.
Roux are the best thickening agents for soups and sauces
4. Dilute beef stock cube in hot water and pour half into roux. Whisk out the lumps and it will thicken into a paste. Pour in the rest of beef stock and whisk again for a smooth consistency.
5. Add in black pepper powder and milk. Simmer gently for a few minutes to allow the flavours to infuse. Add more hot water or milk if the sauce gets too thick. Keep warm.
Sauce should be smooth and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon
6. Heat up a grill or a pan until really hot, grill lamb on both sides until charred and cooked. Each side should take about 4 - 6 minutes, also depending on the thickness of the chops.
Cook on smoking hot pan or grill to get that wonderful smoky char
7. Rest lamb chops for a few minutes. In the meantime, blanch some vegetables of your choice and season with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
8. Serve grilled lamb chops with garlic mash potatoes, veggies and douse it with creamy black pepper sauce.