- What to cook
- Lemak Labu Putih (Pumpkin in Coconut Gravy)
Lemak Labu Putih (Pumpkin in Coconut Gravy)
Every bachelor or bachelorette should know how to cook this. 30 minutes tops and you have a hot & healthy dish ready for dinner. Plus you can add a variety of veggies you have lurking in your fridge.
Serves 2 - 3 people
Cut the pumpkin into the same sizes so it will cook evenly.
1 small pumpkin (about 500g)
2 cloves garlic
½ tbsp. black peppercorns
1 tbsp. dried shrimp (optional)
1 ½ cups water
¾ tsp. salt
½ cup coconut milk
1 red chilli
2 long beans, cut 1 inch long
1. Peel, deseed and cut pumpkin into cubes. Pound shallots, garlic, and black peppercorns and dried shrimp in a mortar and pestle, or use a grinder, until fine.
2. Put water, salt and pounded ingredients into a pot and let it simmer for 3 minutes. Add in pumpkin and cover with a lid, cook until soft. About 10 minutes.
3. Pour in coconut milk, red chilli and long beans. Simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Adjust seasoning to your preference. Serve with hot rice and sambal belacan.
Note: To make this dish for your vegan friends, just remove dried shrimp from the recipe and add an extra clove of garlic to the pounded ingredients.