Chinese New Year is only a few days away. Weather you’re gonna be enjoying reunion dinner or its just another makan session, Lemon Chicken should be on your table this year. Crispy fried chicken doused in tangy lemon sauce, this classic Chinese dish is simple to make and also to die for. Must try!
Serves 4 - 5 people
Potato flour keeps chicken crispy longer even after being soaked into the sauce.
2 chicken breast
1 tsp. soy sauce
¼ tsp. white pepper powder
1 garlic, minced
1 ½ cups potato flour
1 cup water
½ tsp. chicken seasoning powder
½ tsp. soy sauce
3 – 4 tbsp. sugar
1 lemon, juice and zest
Corn flour slurry (2 tsp. corn flour + 1 tbsp. water)
1. Cut chicken into cubes and marinate with soy sauce, white pepper powder, egg and minced garlic. Set aside and let it marinate while you prepare the sauce.
2. For the lemon sauce, mix everything together except for corn flour slurry. Set aside.
3. Spread potato flour out on a flat tray and pour in marinated chicken (including all the liquid). Generously coat chicken pieces with flour and squeeze it slightly just to get the craggy bits of flour to stick to the chicken.
4. Fry chicken in hot oil until golden brown.
5. Using another pan, pour in pre-mixed lemon sauce and bring to a simmer. Slowly pour in corn flour slurry and stir until thickened. Adjust sweet and sour flavour with sugar and lemon juice as needed.
6. Add in fried chicken into the thickened lemon sauce and mix quickly to combine. Serve!