- What to cook
- MINYAK ALIF: Taiwan Style XXL Fried Chicken
MINYAK ALIF: Taiwan Style XXL Fried Chicken
Taiwanese Style Fried Chicken is known for the super huge pieces of chicken, coated with super crispy & crunchy batter. It is then dusted with a spicy seasoning powder that makes you lick your fingers over and over again. This recipe is so budget friendly, one XXL chicken easily feeds two and all the ingredients used are basic kitchen staples. For best results, use Minyak ALIF for the best frying experience.
Serves 1 - 2 people
Combination of tapioca flour and corn flour creates that crispy and bumpy coating.
1 large chicken breast
Salt & pepper
Minyak ALIF for frying
3/4 cup tapioca flour
¼ cup corn flour
½ tsp. chilli powder
½ tsp. sugar
Spicy Seasoning powder
1 tbsp. chilli powder
1 ½ tsp. chicken seasoning powder
¼ tsp. white pepper powder
1. Mix all 3 ingredients for spicy seasoning powder. Set it aside.
You can increase the amount of chilli powder is you like things spicier
2. Butterfly and flatten chicken breast. Butterflying a chicken breast means to cut a breast width-ways, but not all the way through, so the breast opens up like a butterfly. The chicken is now thinner but larger in size.
Flattening the chicken allows even cooking and makes the breast wider as well. This method is how you get the XXL size
3. Season with salt and pepper and crack in an egg. Mix well.
Egg wash helps the dredging flour stick to the chicken
4. Mix ingredients for dredging flour. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour. Discard excess egg.
Make sure every nook and cranny is covered.
5. Heat up Minyak ALIF to 170˚c and fry chicken until light yellow in colour. This takes about 2 minutes.
6. Remove chicken from oil and turn the flames up to 185˚c. Deep fry the chicken again until golden brown. This should take about 5 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken.
When it is ready, it will look like this
7. Remove chicken and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle chicken with spicy seasoning powder while it is still piping hot.
Seasoning powder binds into the crust while the chicken is still hot
8. Serve it whole or cut it up into bite sized pieces.