This chicken makes you do a double-take. Yep! Crispy fried chicken with an awesome belacan marinade. If you were lucky enough ever try this uniquely Asian fried chicken, then you know how special it is. It is only a simple 5 ingredient marinade, minus all the flour and dredging, you’d be thinking – Why haven’t I made this before??
Uniquely South East Asian Delicacy
Serves 4 - 6 people
Belacan varies in intensity. So use more if your belacan is less potent and vice versa.
6 chicken parts, drum sticks and thighs
3 tbsp. roasted belacan
1 tsp. sugar
1 ½ tsp. coriander powder
½ tsp. white pepper powder
3 tbsp. oil
1. Score chicken down to the bone.
Scoring helps chicken cook faster and also allow the marinade to seep down to the bone
2. Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a mortar and pestle to form a paste.
The texture should look like this. Doesn't need to be a smooth paste
3. Marinate chicken for at least 2 hours. But preferably overnight.
Marinating makes a world of difference
4. Remove chicken from the fridge and let it sit in room temperature for 30 minutes. This will allow the chicken to cook evenly and faster too.
5. Heat MINYAK ALIF up to 170˚c and fry for about 15 minutes until dark golden brown and cooked through.
Those dark spots are crispy belacan bits. They are the flavour bombs when you sink your teeth in the fried chicken
6. Drain on paper towels and let chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Look at that crispy goodness! But don't dive in straight after frying. Resting makes it more juicy and tender so be patient.