Mutton Varuval is a dry curry dish. The meat is cooked until the gravy almost dries up. Spices like fennel seed and cumin seed are used to infuse the mutton with their spicy flavours.
500 g Mutton, cubed
4 cloves of Garlic
2 inch Ginger
2 Red Onions, sliced thinly
½ tsp Cumin Seeds
½ tsp Fennel Seeds
4 tbs Chilli Powder
2 sprigs Curry Leaf
4 Dried Chilies, Cut into inch long pieces
4 Tbs Oil or Ghee
Salt and Sugar for Seasoning
1. Marinate the meat with the blended ingredients for an hour.
2. In a wok, add a bit of oil and lightly brown the mutton. Pour in enough water to cover the meat. Cook until the meat is halfway cooked.
3. Heat a pan with oil, then sauté' the dry ingredients and sliced onions together.
4. Add the sautéed ingredients to the mutton in the wok and season it well.
5. Let it cook until the gravy thickens to an almost dry consistency.