I have to say this is one of the nicest and simplest cake I have ever baked. Just measure and mix without any fancy technique required. The use of fresh oranges and its zest just makes this cake light, citrusy and fragrant. You can whip this up in just an hour if you have friends coming over for tea.
One of the easiest cake ever!
Serves 8 people
Best way to grate the maximum yield of orange zest is to use the small hole grater instead of a microplane.
Zest of 1 orange
3 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. almond extract
½ cup powdered sugar
¼ cup almond slices
¾ cup yoghurt
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
Zest of 1 orange
1½ cups plain flour sifted
1 cup almond meal
3 tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. salt
¾ tsp. almond extract
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¾ cup. Sunflower oil
1. Mix all of the ingredients together for the glaze and microwave for 30 seconds.
2. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius and toast the almond slices till golden brown.
3. In a large bowl, add in the yoghurt, sugar, eggs and zest and mix it with a hand beater or whisk for 30 seconds. Just to combine well.
4. Add in all of the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Line a 9inch baking tin with parchment paper and butter.
6. Pour in the cake batter and bake in the middle of the oven for 40 – 45 minutes.
7. Check the cake with a skewer. Let the cake cool for 15 minutes.
8. Poke multiple holes in the cake with a skewer and slowly brush the orange glaze onto the cake. Allow the cake to absorb the glaze.
9. You won’t use all the glaze. Reserve the extra glaze to serve as a sauce on the side.
10. Garnish the cake with toasted almond slices and dust with powdered sugar.