This is a wonderfully fresh and spicy dish that goes so well with biryani rice. The curry powder adds a lovely hint of heat to the sweet pineapple. Make some for lunch and your guests will be clamouring for more.
"pineapples in a savoury guise....."
1 Medium Pineapple, sliced into bite sized pieces, about 1 cm thickness
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Star Anise
1 tbsp Dried Shrimp, washed
an inch of Ginger, thinly sliced
A of sprig Curry Leaf
3 tbsp Beef Curry Powder,mixed with a bit of water
1 Cup Creamy Coconut Milk
1- 2 tbsp Kerisik
1 tbsp Chili paste
1 tbsp Tamarind Pulp,mixed with 1/2 cup of water
4 tbsp Oil
1-2 tbsp Palm Sugar
Salt to taste
1. Heat the oil. Saute all the spices till fragrant.
2. Add in pounded ingredients, ginger and curry leaf. Saute till it's slightly brown in colour.
3. Put in curry paste and cook until the oil starts to bubble. Keep stiring to avoid burning the bottom of the pan.
4. Next add in coconut milk, kerisik, tamarind juice and pineapple.
5. Season with palm sugar and salt.
6. Continue cooking until the gravy starts to thicken.