We are gearing up to the best fried chicken event in town. No wonder even in our kitchen we can’t get enough of making crispy fried chicken in its many forms. For those who don’t really want to fry with bones, popcorn chicken is quick and easy to make at home. Take it to the next level by mixing it while it’s still hot in a rich salted egg glaze.
Crispy chicken bites in a rich, yolky sauce!
Serves 2 - 3 people
This recipe works just as well with chicken drumettes or wings
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 -3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 - inch pieces
4 cups canola oil
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground paprika
Salted Duck Egg Sauce
4 duck egg yolks, steamed
6-8 curry leaves
2 chilli padi, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 Tbs butter
1 Tbs oil
1. In a large resealable bag add buttermilk, salt, pepper and chicken pieces. Keep it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes but recommended over night.
2. Heat oil on medium heat. Mix flour, paprika and garlic powder on a plate.
3. Dredge marinated chicken through the flour mix, shaking off excess flour.
4. Fry in hot oil. If you see chicken browning too quickly, just lower the heat a little.
5. In batches fry chicken until olden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel line baking tray. Let it rest while you make the sauce.
6. In a bowl, mash the steamed duck egg yolks and set aside.
7. Heat butter and oil then sauté garlic, chilli padi and curry leaves until fragrant.
8. Add in the mashed duck egg yolks and mix them until well combine.
9. Toss in popcorn chicken and mix it well.