This Wesak Day, cook up this super tasty vegetarian pumpkin and lentil dish for brunch. This non-spicy curry is packed with vitamins and minerals that is good for you. Serve it up with some rice or chappatti with a dollop of sweet mango chutney for some amazing flavours.
Perfect for meatless days!
Serves 3 - 4 people
Cover the pan with a lid when you fry the mustard seeds and curry leaves to prevent spits and splatters.
3 tbsp. cooking oil
1 yellow onion, blended
4 cloves garlic, blended
1 packet curry powder
½ cup lentils, soaked for 15 mins
500g pumpkin, large cubes
2 tomatoes, diced
400ml vegetable stock
Juice of ½ a lemon
Chopped fresh coriander, optional
1 tbsp. cooking oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds
½ tsp. turmeric powder
2 sprigs curry leaves
1. Mix the blended onion, garlic and curry powder together into a paste. Sauté the paste in hot oil until it becomes fragrant.
Fry your spices properly until fragrant
2. Pour in half of the vegetable stock and lentils, stir and simmer on medium heat until the lentils are half cooked.
3. Add the pumpkin, tomatoes and the rest of the vegetable stock, cook till it is fork tender. Add extra stock if the curry gets too thick.
This dish has tons of nutrients
4. On a separate pan, heat the oil on low and fry the mustard seeds and turmeric powder. When the seeds stop popping, throw in the curry leaves and sauté for 10 seconds.
5. Pour the hot spice mix into the curry, squeeze in the lemon juice and stir gently, season to taste. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
A beautiful vegan dish you can enjoy with the whole family