Thaipusam is just around the corner and it reminds us of one of our favourite Indian breakfast – Puri and Potato Masala! Here is an easy recipe you can whip up in less than an hour. (Vini’s Amma can do this in half the time!)
Awesome vegetarian breakfast!
Serves 4 people
Do not roll the puri too thin or it will not puff up. Think of chappati's thickness.
3 large potato
4 medium red onion, sliced
3 green chillies, sliced
1 inch ginger, sliced
1 ½ cup water
½ tsp. turmeric powder
2 tsp. chickpea flour mixed with ¼ cup water
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. dhal, rinsed
½ tsp. mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaf
1 cup atta flour
½ tsp. melted ghee
½ tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup water
Oil for frying.
1. Peel and cut potatoes into small cubes. Boil in salted water for 15 minutes until really tender. Drain and set it aside.
2. Fry the potato spices first. Heat oil in a pan and sauté dhal for a minute. Add in mustard seeds and curry leaves. Sauté for a few seconds until the seeds start to pop. Then add in sliced onion, chillies and ginger. Cook until onions are slightly soft.
3. Pour in potatoes, water, turmeric powder, diluted chickpea flour and salt. Cook on medium low heat until the sauce is thick and potatoes are incorporated with the liquid. (No sharp edges on potatoes). This should take about 10 minutes. Set it aside and keep warm.
4. Combine atta flour, melted ghee, sugar and salt and massage it with your hands.
5. Slowly pour in water and knead to form a smooth dough. Add in a little more water if the dough is too dry. Rest dough for 10 minutes covered with a kitchen towel.
6. Roll the rested dough into a cylinder shape and cut into equal portions.
7. Dust your table top and rolling pin with a little plain flour and roll out each dough into small circles. Repeat until all dough are rolled out. Do not overlap the dough.
8. Heat some oil in a small pan until really hot and gently slide in a piece of raw dough.
9. Use a spatula to press it down gently and watch the dough puff up like a balloon. Flip and cook until dark golden brown. This will take less than a minute.
10. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with potato masala.