This dish was a tasty surprise. A healthy combination of grains, green and protein, great as a light lunch or a snack. Serve it up as you like. Even though this recipe is meat free, the quinoa gave it a satisfying bite that will keep you fuller for longer.
A tasty and considerably healthy snack!
Serves 4 people
Rinse the quinoa with some water to reduce the slight bitter taste.
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 large leek
2 spring onions
1 knob of butter
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup grated Mozzarella cheese
½ cup cream
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
Salt & pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°c. Butter up some muffin tins or ramekins. Set it aside
2. Cook quinoa according to packet instructions. I did 1 part quinoa, 2 parts salted water – 20 minutes on the stove.
3. Wash and chop up the leeks and spring onion. Keep them separated.
4. Melt a knob of butter in a sauté pan and gently sauté off leeks and spring onion until they are soft. Do not brown them.
5. Using a large bowl, tip in the cooked quinoa, sautéed leeks & spring onion, cheeses, cream, parsley and eggs. Give it a good mix and season with salt and pepper.
6. Pour them into the ramekins and bake them in the oven. 10 minutes for small ramekins, 15 minutes for large ramekins.
7. Remove from the oven when it is ready. Serve with hot or cold with a side of salad or keep it in the fridge for a tasty snack.