This dish needs no introduction. Rendang is a Raya staple and loved by Malaysians and there are many variations using chicken, duck, cockles and offal. This beef recipe is the dry version with fresh herbs and you can enjoy it with ketupat, lemang or even with a slice of bread.
The Godfather of all Raya dishes!
Serves 6 - 8 people
Only add salt at the end of the cooking process. If you add it too early, the salt will harden the beef and it will take longer to tenderize.
1kg beef, small cubed
1 cup cooking oil
4 lemongrass, bruised
5cm galangal, bruised
1.5L coconut milk
2 pieces asam keping
2 tbsp. palm sugar
2 tsp. salt
3 pieces turmeric leaves, finely shredded
6 pieces lime leaves, finely shredded
5 red bird’s eye chilli
4 tbsp. chilli paste
4 lemongrass, chopped
4 inch ginger, chopped
3 inch galangal, chopped
1 inch fresh turmeric, chopped
3 red onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic
1. Blend all of the ingredients for the spice paste together until smooth. Add as little water as necessary.
2. Heat cooking oil in a wide base pan or wok and sauté the spice paste until the paste shrink and oil split.
3. Add in the cubed beef, bruised lemongrass and galangal. Cook until beef shrinks.
4. Add water and simmer until beef is tender and the sauce is slightly dry.
5. Pour in coconut milk, kerisik and asam keping and simmer again until slightly dry.
6. Lastly, add in palm sugar, salt, and shredded fresh herbs.
7. Let it simmer for 5 minutes and turn off the heat. Adjust seasoning if necessary.