We love rice noodle salads, refreshing, light and goes superbly with any protein you fancy. This is a Vietnamese rice noodle salad so it has a fish sauce dressing and lots of Asian herbs in it. It has a crunch and slurpi-ness to it that is very satisfying. We made some garlic prawns to go with it- so good!
A refreshing, crunchy and satisfying salad
Serves 2 - 3 people
You can make the dressing and keep it in a jar. Delicious tossed with salad leaves or served on noodles.
350g rice vermicelli noodles - soaked in boiled water until it turns white and soft
1 large carrot - cut into matchsticks
1 japanese cucumber - seed removed and cut into matchsticks
1 long red chilli- deseeded and cut into matchsticks
1/4 cup chopped coriander
1/4 cup chopped mint
1/4 cup chopped thai basil
250g prawns, cleaned and peeled
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 long red chili, deseeded and chopped finely
3 Tbs vegetable oil
Vietnamese salad dressing
1/2 cup fish sauce
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 cup water
2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
1 red chilli, chopped
1. Marinate prawns with garlic, chili and oil for 15-20 minutes.
2. In a saucepan mix fish sauce, caster sugar and water together on low to medium heat. Mix until sugar has dissolved and the outer ring of the liquid mix begins to bubble a little.
3. Take it off from the heat and add in garlic and chilli, and let it sit aside.
4. Heat oil on medium heat and cook prawns until they turn orange, about 5 minutes.
5. To assemble, put rice noodles, salad ingredients, prawns and a few tablespoons of the dressing. Toss and serve.