Focaccia is an Italian classic savoury bread stuffed with wonderful things like tomatoes, onions, fresh herbs, sweet potatoes.. Pretty much anything you like. This is a good weekend brunch item to have on your table. Really.. Who can resist warm freshly baked bread!
Fresh good quality homemade bread.
Serves 4 - 6 people
Some yeast takes longer to work, so leave the bread to proof for more than an hour. Be patient.
500g plain flour
1 tsp. sea salt
1 packet dry yeast (11g)
350 ml warm water
½ tsp. sugar
Cherry tomatoes, halved
4 cloves garlic, halved
1. Mix the yeast, warm water and sugar in a bowl and leave it to froth up. This should take less than 5 minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and add in salt, chopped rosemary and 2 tbsp. of olive oil. Pour in the bubbly yeast water and combine with a fork.
3. Once the dough is partially formed, tip it out onto a flour dusted work surface and knead for 5 minutes.
4. Form the dough into a ball and put it back with into the mixing bowl drizzled with a little olive oil to prevent from sticking.
5. Cover with a damp cloth and let it proof (rise) for an hour.
6. The dough should double in size after an hour. Tip it out onto an oiled baking tray and spread the dough to a rectangular size.
7. Use your fingers to poke dents into the dough and stuff each hole with cherry tomatoes and garlic. Drizzle olive oil all over the top.
8. Cover it again with a damp cloth and proof for another half an hour.
9. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
> 10. Let the Focaccia cool slightly before cutting into portions.